March 12, 2020. The stock market plummeted more than 2,000 points today, after a plunge of 1,400 points yesterday. We are now officially in a Bear market, stocks having lost nearly all their increased value since Trump took office. There are now more than 1,500 cases nationwide, with 40 deaths, and the numbers are growing significantly each day. The truth is that no one knows how widespread the virus is because of inadequate testing, which Trump blames–once again–on the Obama administration. Yesterday, Trump suspended all travel to the U.S. from every European country except the U.K., which, ironically, has more Covid-19 cases than most other countries in Europe. Meanwhile:
- The World Health Organization officially declared Covid-19 to be a pandemic.
- Italy is on a total lock down.
- France closed all schools today until further notice.
- The states of Ohio and Maryland have closed all schools.
- Broadway has closed all shows.
- The NBA has suspended its season, as has Major League Soccer and the National Hockey League.
- Disneyland is closed indefinitely.
- Princess and Carnival cruise lines have suspended all cruises
- More than 250 colleges and universities–including Durango’s Fort Lewis College–are suspending onsite classes. Henceforth until further notice, all classes will be held virtually.
- The NCAA cancelled March Madness.
- The PGA tour is proceeding without fans.
- The NFL is cancelling is annual meeting.
- Museums around the country are closing, and several movie premiers have been delayed.
- NASCAR will hold races without fans.
These cancellations are just as of today. More are expected as the nation braces for more Covid-19 impacts.